Each May, during National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month, the Texas Campaign joins organizations across the country to raise awareness about teen pregnancy prevention and adolescent health.
Since the early 1990s, teen pregnancy and birth rates in the United State have declined by 55% and 64% respectively and are now at record low levels. Even so, the United States continues to have among the highest adolescent pregnancy and birth rates in the industrialized world and Texas still has the 5th highest teen birth rate in the US and the highest rate of repeat teen births.
National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month is a great opportunity to act and raise awareness about this important issue. NTPPM’s goal is to ensure young people have all the information and skills they need, including comprehensive sex education programs, youth-friendly reproductive health services, open communication with parents, and a secure stake in their future.
Below are resources and other ways to be involved during Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month:
Throughout the month of May, teens will be invited to visit The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy’s teen website—StayTeen.org—to play their new game, Level Up: An Epic Swiping Adventure, and to take the National Day Quiz. Both fun, interactive resources challenge young people to think carefully about what they might do “in the moment” through a series of interactive scenarios.
- Level Up: An Epic Swiping Adventure:To take it to the next level in your relationship, you’re going to have to be prepared. Navigate through the different challenges and avoid making risky decisions!
- The National Day Quiz:The best time to figure out how to deal with risky situations is before you’re in the heat of the moment. Practice your skills and test your smarts with the National Day Quiz.
- Discussion Guide (English| Spanish)
In addition to these engaging digital tools for teens, we have a variety of resources designed for adults—whether you’re a parent, implementing a program, or trying to reach policymakers, there’s so much you can do to get involved this May.
- Get Involved Guide: Find sample language, simple ideas, and so many ways to get involved this month regardless of your budget or bandwidth.
- 8 Tips for Talking to Your Teen: These simple tips are meant to guide you through a thoughtful, rational, and (hopefully) slightly less awkward conversation with the teens in your life about that most awkward topic: sex.
- Click here for our #NTPPM digital tools
- Sample Language:
- National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month: Get Involved Guide
- National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month: Sample Press Release
- National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month: Sample Proclamation
- National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month: Sample Newsletter Article
- National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month: 8 Tips for Talking to Your Teen
- National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month: Quiz Discussion Guide (English)
- National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month: Quiz Discussion Guide (Spanish)